Monday, May 23, 2011

Misanthropic Optimist

I'm an optimist.

It seems unlikely. I know. Combing through the entries here, you might assume I'm anything but.

However, given it all, I think I have a generally positive outlook. Pragmatic optimistic. I'd need to have a healthy level of optimism in order to pursue the career track I've chosen. I believe I can survive doing what I'm doing. I have faith that I can make this work in the long run. I am thankful for everything that I have.

I've got such a great team backing me. Had a talk with one of my managers Friday night and it just highlighted how much I love these guys. They could have dropped me ages ago but they believe in me and what I can do. And more than that, they're just cool. Surrounding myself with cool people is important to me. I want to work with cool, talented people that I respect. People who are not socially inept. I've worked very hard, over many years, to not be socially inept. I've made grand strides. And perhaps because of this, I enjoy spending time with people who, on a basic level, can carry on a compelling conversation.

I was walking home from K-Town Saturday night and this drunk 18 year old Asian-American kid approached me. He asked me how to get to Penn Station. Initially, I just pointed him in the direction... but as I talked to him, I felt compelled to walk him there. He needed to catch the LIRR, he pleaded with me. He just needed to get home to Long Island. I asked him where his friends were. "They left me. I just need to get home." Drunk, underage and lost in the big city at the dead of night. Out of all the people he could've run into, I thought he was fortunate that he ran into me. Someone who would act as a big brother and not a serial killer. He was so far gone, I almost wanted to buy him a bottle of water, get him sorted out a little and make sure he got on his train safely. I'm all about good karma, but I had to go take a piss. So I just walked him right up to the entrance to the train station and wished him luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home