Saturday, May 08, 2010

This is Where it Gets Ugly

[SPOILERS]

Friday afternoon, waiting to hear 11th hour feedback on a few documents I sent out so that I can make any last minute revisions before getting on with my life. Got about four and a half hours of sleep Friday mourn, trying to get this shit done, but the real bitch is always those last minute changes.

Well, that's why I've got a little time to write a SURVIVOR entry.


[Music video from "The Dragons", the Ponderosa-based band formed by jury members. Yet another reason this is the craziest season of SURVIVOR ever.]

I have to say, I enjoy watching the Ponderosa videos after each episode. It's a true extension of the show and you get a deeper insight into these characters and what makes them tick. In many cases, they come across more likable and human in the Ponderosa videos than they do in the actual show. (The CBS Survivor site and video set up sucks ass and you're forced to watch a 30 second commercial before every video, but I still enjoy them.)

An excerpt from Probst's last blog entry:
Oh Rupert, I still love you, but after this season concludes you need shave the beard and create a new persona. The one has grown tired. The lovable pirate who always puts integrity ahead of winning has served you very well and you will always be one of the most popular Survivors ever. But it’s time for a change. Listen, to be fair – I know I could take the same advice myself. Get me a new haircut, a different colored shirt and maybe some new dialogue, cause I’m sure the same argument could be made for me. The Probst act has grown tired.

But, I’m the one writing the blog so that means I’m going to continue to focus my attention outward on everyone else… and leaving the inward thinking for my therapy sessions.
You know, I'll bet that Probst is a really good guy in person. He just comes across as a dick on paper. (Unlike me.)

Things are officially, irrevocably a mess on this season. Again, I have to contemplate what it is that I like in the show. Arguably, the show is most interesting when it's a complete clusterfuck.

Russell Hantz is off the reservation. His game errs toward the messy but he's really screwing himself now. Watching the Ponderosa videos gives an even clearer forecast: NOBODY IS GOING TO VOTE FOR RUSSELL IF HE GETS TO THE END. All the squawking about the bitter people in the last season of Samoa refusing to vote for Russell and history's set to repeat itself: this time, with "All-Stars" who should theoretically be above the bitterness, who should be in a better position to respect his cutthroat gameplay. In that sense, he's the perfect candidate to ride with to the finale.

(Speaking of "island candidates", how about that last episode of LOST??)

I continue to be fascinated by watching the guy manipulate the game but he distinctly lacks an endgame. He's a berserker, all slash and burn. And he's getting sloppier. He's systematically ruined his relationship with Parvati. Judging from the next episode teaser, it looks like he's ruined it to the point that he's now forced to ride the last two Heroes to the end. (I don't underestimate Russell, but you get him to the finale with a "Hero" and there's no chance in hell he wins the million.)

Sandra finding that last immunity idol? She's getting a lot farther than expected. It would be a real shocker if she ended up being the one to beat Russell, after all the fanfare.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home