Saturday, August 29, 2009

Near Death Scare

I was visiting some friends' apartment. There were two elevators and I chose the one further in.

There was an elevator operator, though the elevator looked modern. I think I hit the 6 button. Several other people got on before the doors closed.

One of the other passengers said, "We're not moving." And we weren't.

The elevator operator started fussing with some elevator controls. "It's the 325," he explained wearily, referencing the elevator number.

The doors opened again briefly. Closed. And the sensation of upward movement commenced. Then slowed to a stop.

The elevator operator used the controls again, making the elevator go down and then up. This seemed to work and we were ascending faster.

Then the sensation of something snapping around us.

The elevator began to descend with exponential velocity...

We dropped below what should have been the ground floor and started plummeting, losing gravity. People screamed around me and I felt my body rising in the freefall.

I thought, this is it. This is where my life ends. All my petty everyday problems, gone.

I thought of another scenario where I'd be paralyzed for life.

But the elevator kept free-falling into some bottomless abyss and the impact didn't arrive... far beyond the point where it should have... and that's when I woke up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home