Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Hal Sparks Kinda Sucks

All right, a few years ago I got sucked into those VH1 I Love the 80s/90s nostalgia shows that featured a bunch of talking heads riffing on old pop culture. That's how I first became familiar with Hal Sparks. I thought he was kinda funny on those shows. (Not a particularly high bar for being funny on those shows, but still...) I never watched Queer as Folk, but I knew he was on that show which seemed to separate him from the collection of comedians on the VH1 programs—this was a dramatic actor who happened to be funny.

The next time he appeared on my radar, he was competing in this thing called "Celebrity Duets", which was a celebrity singing competition. I didn't really watch that show, but it seemed he was taking it pretty seriously. Not so funny.

Thing is, I'd never really seen his stand-up routine... until this past weekend. It was a cable special and I was too weak from illness to change the channel.

I had no idea that Hal Sparks went to the Dane Cook school for comedy.

Maybe that's too harsh. But like Dane Cook, Hal Sparks has never had a drink of alcohol, never smoked once, never tried any drugs. I've met Mormons who party harder than this douche-nozzle. And a good portion of his comedy routine involves him ridiculing people who smoke, drink, do drugs.

It was with great horror that I realized that this guy who I once thought was kinda funny—parceled out in little clips of VH1 nostalgia shows—was actually not funny at all. He was, in fact, fairly obnoxious. I can imagine how his routine might be popular amidst some Jesus-freak college circuit, but he just comes across as a fucking asshole who treats his body as a sacred temple of worship and who can't understand why other people would possibly want to actually experience life.

Is it common knowledge that Hal Sparks is completely lame? Am I the last one to realize this fact?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hal is a total tool. Dude thinks he's God's gift to humanity and has all the answers. I don't trust anyone who hasn't had a drink, a smoke, a toke or a sniff once in their lives. He's such a phony.

4/11/2012 07:15:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I actually met him and person, and I agree: he's an asshole. I was working at a comedy club and he performed. He wasn't subtle about his superiority and was condescending toward his fans. I had always thought he was funny on the Soup, but that totally changed my opinion of him. What a cunt

6/11/2020 08:01:00 AM  
Blogger Classics Rock said...

What a FUCKER... When I told him how a You Tube Troll bullied me and made a threat to me and my dad... I told him how I had to fight to get the person who did that off of You Tube... He started to LAUGH and tried to explain something.. Hearing him laugh turned his words into WHITE NOISE after that.. Hope someone does what they did to me to him ans see how his ass would handie it... Anoerxic little PISS AINT....

12/09/2020 07:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home