Thursday, September 13, 2007

Goliath Cometh

My mom comes all the way down to the city—I encourage my mom to come down to the city to attend a screening of the new Paul Haggis movie In the Valley of Elah because Haggis and Susan Sarandon are supposed to do a Q&A after the screening. And my mom is a huge Susan Sarandon fan.

Well, imagine my mom's disappointment when the bitch doesn't even show up!

Honestly, they announced it as they were letting us in and my mom wanted to leave. I get invited to a lot of special screenings through the WGAE, and this was a chance to impress my mom with some star wattage, and she gets bupkis. I suggest we stay in the off-chance Sarandon changed her mind and decided to show up at the end. Or one of the other stars. But no, all we got was Paul Haggis, who my mom wouldn't know from a rock on a beach.

For the record, I hated Haggis's near-universally praised CRASH, but I loved ELAH. And my mom stayed awake for most of it. And I only made her stay for a few questions of the subsequent Q&A. (I wouldn't normally leave during a Q&A, but I figured I owed my mom for the Sarandon disappointment.) Monday, I went to a screening of Sean Penn's Into the Wild, which featured a Q&A with Sean Penn, Catherine Keener, Marcia Gay Harden, Hal Holbrook and Emile Hirsch. But all my mom got Wednesday was a disheveled Paul Haggis.

x - xx - X - xx - x

Kat Von D was on Letterman and Letterman asked her what the rough price-tags would be for some of her ink, if someone were to get it done at her shop. He pointed to a large Beethoven portrait on her thigh.

KAT VON D:
Well, that one's pretty large, so it might cost... a couple thousand...

LETTERMAN:
Two grand, really!

KAT VON D:
Well, probably more than that...

Y'ouch. I'd better sock away some nickels...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home