Saturday, May 02, 2015

When I get to the bottom I go back to the top

May 2, 2015.

I'd bought a ticket to see AVENGERS 2 this morning. Instead, I had the movie ticket transferred to the next day... so I could meet her kid for the first time.

What did I see instead of AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON this Saturday morning...?

It was hosted by a guy who plays an opium den owner in the show I've been working on. It was NOT good. I mean, it might be dismissed as fine for "children's theater" -- but I do not accept that. I don't accept that children's theater has to be this clumsy. I have zero experience with children's theater and I know I could do a better job of it than what this was. But I wasn't there to be a critic or to take on some new wild goose chase vocational calling.

When I arrived at the theater to buy my ticket, the box office girl asked if I was a performer. YOU WISH, I thought. YOU WOULD BE LUCKY IF I WAS A GODDAMN PERFORMER.

Some sparks ignited in my head, watching the show. Old competitive feelings of wanting to do a better job than what these jabronies were doing.

But this was about meeting The Kid.

And he totally took to me.

We saw the show. We had icy drinks at a bubble tea house. We ran around the playground at Union Square as a Canabis Event was being staged. Tossed around a beach ball on a grassy field on the West Side. Had a stroll and a snack on the High Line. And at the end of the day, I helped tuck him into bed and read bedtime stories. It was a perfect day. The kid adored me. If this were a job interview, I nailed it.

Things are looking better. The future. We hit a little turbulence there but we survived.

What happens from here? I don't know. But I think I can start to breathe a little easier again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home