Saturday, January 24, 2015

Manic Pixie Dream Girl

From the Wiki, the "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" was a term coined by critic Nathan Rabin to describe "that bubbly, shallow cinematic creature that exists solely in the fevered imaginations of sensitive writer-directors to teach broodingly soulful young men to embrace life and its infinite mysteries and adventures."

A long time ago, when we were both so much younger, I knew a girl like this. She wasn't necessarily my "type", but I eventually developed a crush on her -- as did a lot of guys around her at the time. She shut me down as she shut down most of those other boys.

I got over it.

We remained friends.

She attended my doomed wedding.

We lost touch over the years, though I'd occasionally see snapshots of her life on Facebook. Not pics I'd necessarily linger on. Simply more posts of people living full lives while I lived my monastic life chasing dragons.

We met up again, at my 39th birthday. And everything changed.

There's more to this. Hopefully. It's complicated because I can't ever fucking have anything that's easy. But for right now...

... we're kind of crazy in love...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home